Gabe Aul and team has dropped another Windows 10 Redstone preview build for Insiders in Fast ring. After taking a big leap in build number, Windows 10 preview build 14257 has been released with a number of bug fixes. As usual, Insiders will be receiving the updated preview build on their devices soon or you can go to Settings > Update & security to grab this update.
As with a few previous Windows 10 preview builds, build 14257 does not bring any new, noticeable features. According to Aul, changes made in preview build 14257 are mostly laying the foundation for upcoming new features. Though Aul also points that his team is at the beginning of a new development cycle for the next feature update to Windows 10.
Previous Windows 10 Insider preview build 14251 was released on 27th January.
Beginning this year, Windows Insider build cycle in Fast ring has changed. Insider team has moved to a rapid release schedule, which means there will be more frequent Windows 10 preview builds, and these builds will see fewer big changes.
There is a ton of coding work going on, but I want to set your expectations on how it will show up for you at our increased Fast ring pace.
Windows 10 Preview Build 14257: Bug Fixes
- The issue of periodic app crashes or other memory related app errors due to a memory management change has been resolved. If you were having issues launching the Git client for Windows, you should now be able to launch it in this build.
- The Connect button now shows up again in Action Center.
- F12 Developer Tools will now load correctly Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed an issue where suggested apps were being shown on the Start menu even though “Occasionally show suggestions in Start” was turned off under Settings > Personalization > Start.
- We fixed an issue where if you try to change the Lock screen picture with “Get fun facts, tips, tricks and more on your lock screen” turned on it will revert back to the default.
- We fixed an issue where the positions of desktop icons get jumbled up after switching DPI settings from 100% to 150% or 175%.
- We also fixed an issue where pasting files into a new .zip file (compressed folder) in File Explorer by either right-clicking or Control-V would not work. You should be able to paste tiles into new .zip files just fine now.
Windows 10 Preview Build 14257: Known Issues
- If you choose “Reset This PC” under Settings > Update & Security > Recovery – your PC will be in an unusable state. There is no workaround if your PC gets into this state and you will need to reinstall Windows. This issue will be fixed in the next build. You can still rollback to the previous build if for some reason this build doesn’t work out for you. This bug also existed in Build 14251 so please avoid resetting your PC on these builds.
- You might see a WSClient.dll error dialog after logging in. We’re working on a fix for this but as a workaround, you can run the following in Command Prompt with administrative rights: schtasks /delete /TN “\Microsoft\Windows\WS\WSRefreshBannedAppsListTask” /F. This issue will be fixed in the next build.
- The front-facing camera is unusable on PCs with Intel RealSense resulting in being unable to use Windows Hello or any other apps that utilize the front-facing camera.
- After logging in to your PC, you may hit a UI issue in which Airplane Mode will incorrectly show as “on” even though your PC’s Wi-Fi is powered on. This is due to a timing issue between how the UI communicates and waits for the underlying platform to respond. The UI for Airplane Mode essentially does not wait long enough for the device’s physical radios to power on before reporting the current state. You can toggle the Airplane Mode on and off to get Airplane Mode back to showing the correct state.
Windows 10 Redstone is the codename of Windows 10’s upcoming big update. Windows 10 Redstone will second featur update to Windows 10, the first being November Update. Redstone will bring a number of new features to Windows 10.
Along with the preview build Microsoft has also unveiled a set of images of Ninja Monkey to celebrate Lunar New Year which is the Year of Monkey. You can download these images from here.
Are you an Insider? Do share your Windows 10 preview build 14257 experiences with us.
Support Me: If this article/tutorial helped you today, please consider supporting me and help me run frunction.com